The Spanish Club offers CofC students wonderful opportunities to broaden their academic experience with exposure to the Hispanic-speaking world right here in Charleston. The club is a great way to meet other students interested in Spanish-speaking countries, cultures, history, film, and literature. You’ll also meet students who have returned from study abroad programs, others who have lived or worked abroad, and students from other countries. The club organizes numerous activities throughout the academic year and welcomes your participation. We would love for you to join us. All levels of Spanish are welcome.
Previous events have included:
- Latin American Carnival / ¡Noche Latina!
- Salsa Nights
- Day of the Dead Celebrations
- Hispanic Heritage Fairs
- Film Festivals
- Tertulias every other Friday during the semester (informal gatherings for Spanish conversation with other students and the Hispanic Studies Department faculty)
- Culinary evenings with foods from different parts of the world
- Academic Lectures on the Hispanic-Speaking World
- Professional Speakers
- Group trips to CofC Sporting Events
The Spanish Club at the College of Charleston also works with several organizations to provide members with opportunities to volunteer with the Latino community of Charleston and the South Carolina Lowcountry. We have ongoing service opportunities with:
- Elementary Schools
- Health advocacy and outreach groups
- Immigrant groups living in the area
- Local unions and labor rights organizations
- Local churches
- and much, much more!
If you are part of an organization that would like to work with the members of the Spanish Club, including opportunities for our students to volunteer, internship positions, or any other events that would interest our students, please contact the club officers or faculty advisors.
Vice President -
Advisor - Dr. Ricard Viñas-de-Puig
Advisor - Prof. Berenice Marquina-Castillo
Tertulia - Prof. Devon Hanahan